Green Timecaster circa 1988 & Famous Time players

Have a Time guitar? Submit your pictures here!
There's 600 guitars out there. We've got pictures of a few of them. It's rare to find more than 2 or 3 that are identical. So please post.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Green Timecaster circa 1988 & Famous Time players

Postby billsimmon on Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:56 am

This is a photo of Matt Guyette in the band room at South Burlington High School in 1987 or 88. He was 17 or 18. He's holding a bright green Timecaster that he'd purchased that year. Matt is now a guidance counselor at Tuttle Middle School in South Burlington. I have no idea where the guitar is now but I don't think he has it anymore.

GS-9 owner, serial#: GS9X-152 (1/83)
billsimmon
Time Guitar Owner

More Green Timecasters circa 1988

Postby ChrisClark on Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:55 pm

Bill,
These Green Time Guitars seem to show up all over the place. Here's a Green TimeCaster TC-3 at the barn.

Chris
ChrisClark
Forum Creator

Re: Green Timecaster circa 1988

Postby billsimmon on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:22 pm

I just heard from Matt he does still own this guitar! He writes...

"I bought my guitar from the barn factory in south burlington. They told me Jeff Beck played it... so I bought it. That was enough to convince a 16 year old with $400 cash burning a whole in his pocket to purchase."

My friend Dave was told (I believe sincerely) that Johnny Winter had owned and returned his EX-8 (Gibson Explorer copy). Was this a typical sales technique at the barn or did famous guitar players really play Times that much? So far I've heard of Johnny Winter, Richard Thompson, B.B. King (at least when he played in Burlington) and of course Phish playing Times. Any other guitar players of note own these things - and do photos exist of them playing or holding the guitars?
GS-9 owner, serial#: GS9X-152 (1/83)
billsimmon
Time Guitar Owner

Did famous guitar players really play Times that much?

Postby ChrisClark on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:52 pm

Bill,
It all true.

The Explorer was used by Johnny Winter. He used this as a slide guitar and the action was high. He called me from Chicago while he was recording an album. This was around 1987 or so. He had several Times in the Studio and wanted me to talk to his guitar roadie about setting up that guitar for slide. The action was changed in his hotel room I believe.

Richard Thompson used Times for several years and I believe the album 'Shoot Out the Lights' was recorded with his Time. Don Sidney may known more about this.

Carlos Cavazo of Quiet Riot had a Fluorescent red Prime Time which he brought on tour in Japan. He later endorsed Jacksons. He told me, we should get one in their warm-up band Armored Saint. I was like,'Who the hell are they?'

Jeff Pevar of the Ray Charles Band, Rickie Lee Jones, Joe Cocker, etc was from Burlington and always had a Time.

John Hall of Orleans played a GS for many years. Still the One.

Jorma Kaukonen of Jefferson Airplane. Jorma has several GS guitars. We used to meet with him about guitars when he played at Hunt's. I remember his camo fatigues and knives on his belt. He struck me a one bad ass mo-fo and he kind'a scared me.

I believe Rick Derringer has a Time. Alan met with him in the 70's.

Jeff Beck. We had a Time down in a big studio in NYC, I forget the studio name. But the engineer there was showing the Times to people coming thru. Jeff was there to record with Tina Turner. He had a pink Jackson at that point, but he thought the Time Caster was too ugly for his taste I was told. [edit- The engineer was Robbie Eaton of the Power Station, NYC]

Jerry Garcia, Someone has recently told me that they were convinced that Jerry had a Time Guitar. That's news to me.

Jon Butcher Axis band, I've also been told that Jon had a Time.

Adrian Belieu of King Crimson and the Bears. We were working with Adrian on a custom comic book inspired guitar in conjunction with New England Digital. You know, elephant noises and all that.

Toy Caldwell of Marshall Tucker. I think Toy may have a Time. I remember a story about Alan trying to get him and his equipment ready to play in Stowe. Too much drugs & alcohol may have been involved.

Jimmy Bell
. Jimmy was a local Time guitar hero guy that played with the Smart Shopperz'. He had a big record deal. I'll not sure what happened to him, but I think he ended up in some famous metal band.

Steven Van Zandt E-Street band. He did not play a Time. His friend called and said 'If you pay me $100k, I'll make sure that Steven plays your guitar.' After a short discussion, we told him to go F#CK Himself!

Marv Ross of Quarter Flash almost endorsed Time, but in the end signed with Yamaha for cash and equipment.

Boston's Gang Green won a 'Battle of the Bands' competition around 1986-7. 1st prize was a Prime Time guitar and recording contract, etc. They are still around and playing in Boston.

That's all I can think of right now. I'll add more as I remember. At Time, we never payed anyone to play our guitars. If someone famous wanted to play one we would give them one. If they stopped playing it, or wanted something special, we asked that they give it back. That's why you saw the 'played by' guitars at the barn. Usually, the player would ask for something special and we'd build that one and trade it. We didn't chase after rainbows. If someone liked our guitars, that was enough.

If anyone out there remembers more, please post. It's much appreciated,

Chris
ChrisClark
Forum Creator

Re: Green Timecaster circa 1988 & Famous Time players

Postby Matt on Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:16 am

Thanks Bill and Chris,
This is Matt from the photo. Now, how could Jeff have thought this guitar Ugly? His loss. Thanks for the info. I used to love visiting the Barn to watch the work happening and drool over the finished products. I saved up my pennies for a long time to afford this guitar. I think who ever sold this guitar to me gave me a big break on the price. I was very excited to be able to bring this time machine home.

Peace
Matt
Time Guitar Owner

More Green Times!!!!

Postby Chris on Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:47 pm

Here's green GS2 at the barn. Looks like Seymour Duncan Pickups on this one.

Chris
Worked at Time

Login to Remove:

Sponsor

Submit this post...

Social Bookmarks:

Social Bookmarks

Return to User submitted Photos